Thursday, October 30, 2008

eye poppin' discovery!

this morning I headed out of my building, off to work as usual (when I say 'morning' I mean 'noon', but i digress.). I noticed a little green piece of paper affixed to my bike handle, so I tore it off and ducked back inside to toss it in the garbage. I know, thrilling! right? well, when i stepped back outside i noticed another bright green object on the bike next to mine, a freakin praying mantis! How rad is that?! This was the first time i've laid my eyes on one that wasn't in a glass fish tank or on TV, and it was really cool. We sized eachother up a bit while I dug my camera out of my bag to get a few pics. After I took a couple shots I figured I should be off and get out of everyone's way on the sidewalk, so I turned and started walking away and the mantis took a few swings at me! Lucky for me, i was out of reach.
That thing was rad, and on my way to work I whipped out my e-mobile phone and read all about the freaky little creatures. I found out that they mate in the fall (who does that anymore?) so maybe he/she/it was looking to get down with the paper, not sure... they were pretty similar in color. I did learn a new word though: 'diurnal'. Any guesses? Sorry, you're wrong. ha, ha, ha! dumbass! It's the opposite of nocturnal. why i didn't know that, I don't know, but there you are. how 'bout that?

No comments: