Friday, March 21, 2008

Kekkonshiki!

Ah, the post that you've all been waiting for! The wedding in Nagoya!

Well, it wasn't in Nagoya, it was actually in Toyohashi, pretty close to Nagoya anyway.On Saturday I took the shinkansen and arrived at Toyohashi station around 1:45 in the afternoon and took a taxi to the shrine, named Hadahachiman-Jinja to take part in the ceremony. This was a very special thing as most of the time only family members are allowed to be there for the ceremony, especially for a traditional ceremony at a shrine. It was really an interesting experience because it is so very different than a Western style, Christian wedding. At the ceremony only myself and a long-time friend Le-chan were the only non-family members there, so I was a bit nervous, and of course, during the ceremony, and the reception after, I was the only gaijin. The ceremony started in a Japanese style room off to the side of the shrine complex where we all sat in the traditional "seiza" style on opposite sides of the room. On the left is the groom's family, and the right is the bride's family. The bride had too many guests so myself and Le-chan sat on the groom's side. Next the head of the family introduced everyone and after each introduction, the introduced person bows to the opposite group and says "Yoroshiku-onegaishimasu" meaning something like "please regard me favorably." After the introductions, and a bit of green tea, we all got up and lined up to head over to the main building of the shrine. After everyone was finished complaining about how their legs fell asleep from sitting "seiza" and we got our shoes on and walked over to the main building and sat down in some little folding chairs to witness the actual ceremony. Here's the real strange part. The most shocking thing about the traditional style Japanese wedding is the absence of music, no "here comes the bride", just the priest chanting and occasionally banging on a drum. It was a strange, surreal experience, and very, very interesting. Everybody does a lot of bowing, and drinks a little sake, and then it's all over. Everyone heads outside and takes pictures with the new couple in front of the shrine and then heads on over to the hotel to party!
The reception was very, very nice, and seemed to probably have been very, very expensive. It was in the Toyohashi Nikko Hotel on the 30th floor, and there was lots of food, and alcohol, and even gifts for the people attending. It was a pretty interesting experience all-around, except for the surprise speech that I had to give... during the 2nd half of the reception the MC (a lady whose obvious only talent in life is talking, and talking, and not shutting up ever!) went around to each table and chose one person to say something to the bride and groom (obviously previously chosen by the couple). When she arrived at our table I was praying that she wouldn't choose me... and then she did. I really didn't know what to say, in a room full of people I was nervous as all hell and then I gave the shortest speech of the night probably. It went something like this (in Japanese):

"Good evening...
I really don't know what to say...
Really, if you become happy, I think that's good.
Goodnight!"

Yeah, that was my speech. Lame? Yes, but I really, really hate talking in front of people, and I was extremely nervous. If I had a bit more warning I would have drank a whole lot more and probably been able to handle it. Anyway, that was it. Jumped back on the Shinkansen and headed back to Toyko. It was a pretty cool experience, and I just want to wish J-chi-chi and her hubby the best of luck, I hope that you make each other happier than you ever though imaginable! See you soon!

No comments: