Wednesday, October 04, 2006

untitled


Well, where to begin... I guess my last post was on friday (sat morning) and it was a doozie. Anyway, since then I've had some good times.I went bowling, and got to wear a bowling pin costume, and it was rad! I didn't do so hot, but it had been a long time, and had fun anyway.




On Tuesday myself and Jacky (code name) went to an exibit in Akasaka-mitsuke. First time I have ventured to that part of the city, and it was fairly cool. We went to see a French artist, named Henri Riviere's work.
Between 1888-1902 he created what he called "Les Trente-six Vues de la Tour Eiffel," or "36 views of the Eiffel Tower." It was an homage to Japanese artist Hokusai, who's "36 views of Mt. Fuji" is probably the most famous collection of Ukiyo-e (wood block prints) ever made. It was quite impressive the way he captured the feeling of the japanese style in a completely un-japanese setting. Really good stuff. Afterwards Jacky and I walked around and enjoyed the garden area outside the museum/hotel. Later in the evening I met up with some co-workers at the 200 yen bar again and enjoyed drinking and soccer until late in the evening, it's always a good time!


Next on the list was today. I hopped on a train to Chiba to see the grand master of the Ukiyo-e style, Utagawa Hiroshige. It was really a treat. I've been a big fan of his for a long time. It was a special treat, and well worth the hour trek out there. The showing had about 200 pieces of work from several different artists (around 100 of them were from hiroshige.) The show focued on the Tokaido, and Kisokaido areas. It was really good stuff. It was also the first time I've been out to chiba to do something besides visit the airport, so it was interesting to see things like the upside-down monorail.














Oh! I almost forgot! I finally tried the squid ink curry! Hunbun and I went to coco ichi and she ordered it and I tried it, and to be honest, it was actually pretty good, who knew!?! Here's a pic of it, and it's too bad, I think I'll have to wait till next summer to try it again, I think the end of September was the end of the run, but if I see it again, I might give it another shot!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like the bowling pin costume! you are right it is rad! how come you got to wear it?

And I don't know if i would be able to handle the upside-down monorail thingy. it would freak me out.

Later - E diddy