Sunday, February 01, 2009

a difficult Super Bowl ahead...

So I've been debating, and deliberating all week. The Pittsburgh Steelers vs. the Arizona Cardinals match-up tomorrow is one the most difficult picks I've had to make in a long time. There are reasons for, and reasons against both teams. Almost all of them are emotional for me. I don't care about the skill of the teams on the field, that's what ESPN is for. I just want to figure out who I'm rooting for...

Pittsburgh Steelers
The good:
As a kid, much like many of my generation, I was a fan of the Steelers, namely because they won the super bowl the year I was born. As I got older, I still liked them, especially because they had the last "great" white running back, Merril Hoge. Not that I didn't like African-American or African running backs (I was a huge fan of Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson and Christian Okoye just to name a few) but it was that I was a white kid who was dying to be a running back in the NFL at that time. I thought I had a shot. I've always thought that the Steelers organization was good, and the coaches that they've had have all been very respectable. I love Heins Ward, I love his passion. I love the way he plays the game.
The bad:
The Steelers beat the Seahawks in Super Bowl XL. That's it. That is pretty much unforgivable. Oh, they also have the dumbest mascot in all the land.

Arizona Cardinals
The good:
Oh, this is tough, think I should say the bad first.
The bad:
The Cardinals suck. I've never liked them very much. They are also in the same division as the Seahawks and until this year, they were a doormat. I really appreciated that. This leads me to the good...
The good:
If the Cardinals win, it will be that much sweeter when the Seahawks beat them next year. I really like Larry Fitzgerald.
The bad:
If the Cardinals win, they will have done it before the Hawks...

who to choose...
I normally root for the underdog...
I would love a tie...
man I can't decide...
I really just want a good game, but I guess, if I have to choose...
OK, 26-23 Cards... Don't know if I'm actually rooting for them though.

No comments: