Saturday, December 15, 2007

an allegory...

It's the last day of high school...
You've met an amazing group of people that you will know for the rest of time, I mean, these bonds are made forever right? Sure, some people may be headed across the country to a better art school, or law school than is offered in your neck of the woods, but they'll be back for holidays, and you'll visit them for spring break... right? The bonds made here are lasting, they're un-breakable. The greatest moment of of your life will continue forever, and the people you know will never change. The common ground forced upon you will for sure keep you together for all eternity. Things change. People change. The 5 best friends I had in high school I talk to in only random myspace posts. My best friend now I barely knew in high school. My 3 best friends in college I rarely hear from now-a-days. The wonderful people I met while on my study abroad, I have no idea what happened to them and only randomly run into them hundreds of miles away in front of a Starbucks in Osaka... The greatest experiences of your life have yet to happen. It's hard to believe, but it's quite possibly true. We, and I myself most of all, wish to believe that time is a frozen moment, one which we can hold on to forever, one which no matter what shakes it will result in the same outcome, but it isn't. The end of an era has approached me. It is a sad day. When I arrived at a little school in Gotanda, Tokyo I was witness to an end of an era myself. I wasn't involved in it personally, so what did it matter? But I know that to the people there before me, it was over... just a few stragglers hanging on to what had been. The day I arrived change had begun. Old teachers were leaving, and new ones were on their way. I don't regret not having come earlier, I'm am only greatfull that I came when I did. First was me (excluding 3 of the best people that I've ever known that hung on for the next generation, A.O.S. Crow, and Naj) and then came Mr. Matt Damon look-a-like, and then Deuce, next was Doogle, and Melvis, eventually and (in-between) teachers came and went, transfered and quit, but a bond was formed between us. The same kind of bond you feel whenever common ground is thrust upon people who are willing to accept. The kind of bond that makes you promise to visit on holidays. The kind of bond that will never be broken... I love those guys. Love all of them, just hope things don't turn out like high school, hope that I mean it this time....

1 comment:

b? said...

man, I was drunk when I wrote this, thought about going back in and fixing some obvious grammar f ups, but think I'm gonna leave it this way.