Tuesday, August 22, 2006

weirdness....


So on saturday I was working in Hiroo for the day. It was ok, i guess. Anyway, for lunch I decided to go and check out "Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs." It was ok, a bit overpriced. But the strangest thing happend, I walked in and a foriegn guy was working the register, he said "irashaimase" (welcome) and before I realized what was going on, I just started speaking to him in Japanese. I asked him if the chili dog had onions on it, and unfortunately it did, so I ordered a cheese dog set. Well, I'm pretty sure that this guy probably spoke English on-par with myself, but I made my order, I paid, and all that good stuff that happens at restaurants all in Japanese, and he responded the same. It was very strange, I think it's the first time that has ever happened here. Usually Japanese employees at highly foriegner visited establisments will naturally assume that I don't speak Japanese and just try and speak English to me. Anyway, it was weird....

No comments: