Thursday, September 28, 2006

I'm a ramblin' man...

So, I've been here in J-pan for alost 7 months now and I feel like it's been pretty... fruitless for the most part. I've had some good times, work's good, life's good, but it's just so... so... normal. One reason is that I haven't been studying enough. The main reason/excuse I have is that it's very difficult to find any motivation to study when I come home after teaching English all day. I did however get a chance to actually speak alot of Japanese the other night when I met up with fu-chan and her husband, but besides that I rarely get to use anything besides "fukuro ha ii desu" (I don't need a bag) and "tamanegi nuki de" (no onions). It's a bit dissapointing, I mean my japanese has held up pretty good, but really I haven't put in much study in the past 4 years or so, just been stagnant... I gotta do something about that...

The other thing that is kinda depressing me is that I haven't been out of this city much, not enough. I've been out to Osaka once, and I've been down to Kamakura. I've also been up to Saitama, and over to Kanagawa, but it's not enough. Even travelling around Tokyo has been kept to a minimal. I've been to the baseball stadiums in the city, and I've been to some new places, but seems to be few and far between. Inspired by my venture to Ueno on tuesday I'm planning on possibly visiting a couple of other museums next week if I have time, and money. I've got the money, just trying to save for the trip up to Nagano (more on that in a min.) Anyway, I'm planing possibly to head out to Chiba and take in some Ando Hiroshige prints. I've never been out to Chiba (except the airport) and I've never seen Hiroshige's prints before, and I'm a big fan, so I really would like to get out there. There is also a show in Akasaka Mitsuke featuring a French artist who kinda took inspiration from another famous Ukiyo-e (Japanese woodblock print) artist named Hokusai. Hokusai did a series of prints called "37 views of Mt. Fuji," and this French artist, named Henri Riviere, did a series called "37 views of the Eifel Tower." Seems like it could be interesting, I'll report on them if I get out to see them. So the next trip is happening the weekend before my b-day when hunbun and I head up to Matsumoto to visit fu-chan and her husband. It should be good times, drink some Tequilla and get out of the city! The last trip, currently under consideration, is a trip to beijing. "Beijing?" you ask. Yes indeed. August 2007! Dude? and I are thinking about heading out there to take in a game. "What kind of game?" you ask. Well, good question! A football game! The Seahawks are slated to play the Patriots in Beijing in August 2007. First game ever in China, and it would be a great experience I'm thinking. Could be an event! And for sure a trip out of this city! I'll keep you updated.

No comments: