Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Sea-town part 1

before you read this, you should go back and check out the updated "Rocktober" post, it's probably one page back, so just click the "older posts" link, do it!

So here's the deal. I’ve got hold of mornin’s old computer, a little Panasonic “let’s note” that she doesn’t need anymore, after she got her new one. Man, this thing is tiny! But I figure if I lug it around and I can stop hitting the f’n “s” button instead of the “a” button I will be able to keep this blog up and running a bit better on my down time here at work. Sounds like a good idea, but practice is a whole ‘nother animal…

So the first thing I want to put up is an account of my trip back home to the great city of Seattle. I headed over to Narita on the 11th of November to catch a Northwest Airlines flight back to SeaTac for my first visit to Sea-town in over 3 years. The last time I was there was when dude? And Mrs. Dude? got married. After their wedding I hauled myself and all my stuff down to Arizona to meet up with my family for 6 months before I came over here to J-pan. Another reason I headed down there was to have a place to leave all of my aforementioned “stuff” while I was over here. Little did I know that they would move about 3 times while I was here, one of which lead them back to the Seattle area. Well, news is that they are heading back to the AZ, in fact today, as I write this, I think they are probably around Utah… Oh well, I got to them before they headed out and got to spend 2 weeks kicking it in the beautiful state of Washington! Man this keyboard is tiny!!!!
So I arrived butt ass early at SeaTac international airport, so early in fact that immigration hadn’t even opened and we had to sit in the plane for about 30 mins waiting for someone to show up so that we could officially be welcomed into the country. Who knew that immigration closed? Not this guy. I headed outside after quickly picking up my bags and eventually saw my grandma’s car come around the arrival area loaded with my sister, and her 3 girls. My nephew was at home sick with the flu (more on that later). The kids were all out of school because it was Veteran’s day, and so we were off to live through my second Tuesday the 11th of November. We arrived back at my sister’s house after a brief stop off at my g-ma’s to switch cars (she used g-ma’s Honda to pick me up because it has much better gas millage than her giant suburban) and say hi to my pretty kitty, Ms. Hana Banana.
The first couple of days I spent in town were pretty uneventful, mostly just hanging out around the house with one kid after another that fell victim to the dreaded “flu” and doing some shopping. I picked up a ton of Xbox 360 games while I was back because they are nearly $30 cheaper a pop! I also picked up a few t-shirts, man I love t-shirts, and some sauce packets, like ranch dressing, country gravy and enchilada sauce, so I could mix them up when I got back here. It wasn’t until my first weekend in town that I really got out much. Deuce and his lady, Ms. Kao, came down from Vancouver to visit and the first day we grabbed P’s (grandma) car and drove up to the big city of Seattle, see some beautiful pictures here:
Where we met my friend Cass-a-roll and hit up a couple of bars. It was good to see all of them, and it was really nice to enjoy some good beer that didn’t come from a can and didn’t have 3 inches of head on it! After a few beers, we decided it was time to get some eats so we hit up a Seattle legend, Dick’s!
We all had a couple of burgers and a shake and then headed back down to my sister’s in Gig Harbor for the night. Now one thing that really made my trip home strange was that I was staying in a very unfamiliar place. I grew up in a city called Kirkland and I know that area very well. Kirkland is about an hour and a half north of Gig Harbor, an area that I know very little, and so driving around I got lost a few times, and it made me feel very uncomfortable, it is not something I am used to and I don’t like it very much. The city itself is very pretty, very small, but it’s not my home…
The 2nd day that the deuce was in town we got up and headed over to Bremerton to catch a ferry over to Seattle. The ride was beautiful but because of some construction going on around the dock we missed the ferry we wanted and ended up taking one about an hour later, this messed up our plans for the day a bit, but not too bad. We rode over and it takes about an hour to get to Seattle, I was able to get a bunch of great pics on the ride, here are some: actually, check this link son!
After arriving in Seattle we hooved it over to Qwest Field to take in the 2nd half of the Seahawks game vs. the hated Arizona Cardinals. We lost… and the worst part is that we had a chance… a really good chance. Hasselbeck threw a crappy interception (as he did the following week against the Redskins) that cost us the game. What a terrible year for the Hawks, and Seattle sports in general… Oh, and we saw some dude getting tasered!

After the game we walked up town through Pioneer Square and headed to Pike’s Place Market as it was closing, but we did manage to get some good shots of the famous sign, the famous fish market, and of course the famous 1st Starbucks! I hate Starbucks, but that’s not part of the story.
After a quick tour of the market we walked over to Westlake Center and hopped on the monorail for my first ride on it, and went over to the Seattle Center to check out the Space Needle, see:
We were looking around for a “Seattle restaurant” and I wanted to take them to Ivar’s for some clam chowder, but we couldn’t find anything “Seattley” so we settled for some decent Thai food. With dinner taken care of, we jumped back on the monorail and made our way back to the ferry and headed back across the sound, I took a bunch of pics from the ferry, none of them turned out very well, but here’s one:
Thanks for coming Deuce and Ms. Kao!

No comments: