Wednesday, November 01, 2006

a new beginning?

Tomorrow morning I'm going back to Yukigayaotsuka to check out the inside of the apartment that I checked out the other night. Here's a picture of the outside, showing which window would be mine:

So, I don't want to get too far ahead of myself because I haven't actually seen the inside of the apartment just yet. But, I figure that by the time I come home tomorrow, and possibly put up another post, I will have made my descision so I wanted to go through the positives and negatives of my current and (possible) future apartment.

1. My current place is a 15+ min walk to the station, with another 15+ min train ride to work, including a train transfer, clocking in at about a 30 min commute, whereas the new place would be a 1 min walk to the station with about a 14 min ride on one train line.
2. Time to hunbun's: current:32mins (including walking) future:14mins
3. Noise. My current place like I said is 15+ mins to the station, however I can constantly here the trains passing by, and when they reach this area, they are at full speed, so fairly noisy. The new place is very close to the station, but as far as I can tell it is quieter because the trains are always either slowing down and pulling into the station, or just heading out on there way. The road traffic noise here is also terrible, there is only a one-way street infront of the building, but there is a constant stream of noisy cars and motorcycles and the noise is funneled straight into my room... There is a big road infront of the new place, but when I was on the roof of the place it seemed fairly quiet, we'll see how that is. My current place is also next door to the place where all of the garbage trucks gather before heading out every morning to pick up garbage, oh wait, the don't do it on sunday, but every other morning between 7:30 and 8am, I hear about 25 trucks beeping as the back into their parking spots etc. it drives me crazy! The last part of noise is from the roommates. At my current place, my room is next to another room and I have paper-thin walls that provide absolutely no sound insulation. I can here my roommate lay down in his bed, cough, laugh, and listen to music all day, it's terrible and it's the worst part of living here. A critical factor of whether or not I will take the new place is the thickness of the walls.
4. The one thing that my current place does have going for it is the amount of restaurants and shopping available in the area. There are countless more options in this area, and as far as I can tell, there are few of them around the new place, however the first floor of the building is a grocery store, so I wouldn't have to go far for food.
5. Roommates. I don't really get along with my current ones. That's all I'll say about that for now, but I share an apartment now with 2 other people. I have a 6 tatami mat room, and share a kitchen, living space, and bathroom with them. I hardly use any of those because I do not like to see them. The future place would be a 12 tatami mat room, including my own kitchen, with a shared bathroom, and shower that I would share with 3 other people. I wish I had my own shower and bathroom, but beggers can't be choosers I guess, and the apartment has alot going for it. It just has a final test to pass, I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: